My Summer at Stone Lab

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Note: I'll be honest with you. I'm not typing this stuff on the day it actually happened. I'm running behind because, well, I'm fishing and boy-o-boy are they keeping us busy! I'll let you guys know what happened in a semblance of order though. :) My previous entry was for Sunday.


Monday started with me getting all excited because they had Cocoa Puffs at breakfast. (Hey, I don't get Cocoa Puffs often!) I gathered my water for the day and headed to the Gibralter III for our morning outing. Our schedule for the week is being out on the lake from 8AM to 1:30
PM (lunch on the boat - they hook us up with some tasty vittles) and then lecture from 2 till dinner at 4:45PM. Sometimes we'll have an evening lecture but more often we get to either fish from the dock/shore or take a rowboat out and have our way with the fishies.

Well, the weatherman lied. The waves on the lake weren't up to 2 feet. They were up to 4 feet. OH MY GOODNESS! I'm so totally not used to that and it wasn't long till I was getting green about the gills. It was bloody hard to keep from sliding about the boat and unfortunately, we went from our walleye spot and headed to calmer waters to fish elswhere (I shaped right up). I didn't catch anything out on that trip but others caught things like Freshwater Drum, aka Sheephead. One of the guys also caught a monster Channel Cat. I used worms pretty exclusively this week. I'll get into the leeches later. (Ewww!)

Our lecture this Monday was craft day. We learned all about tying knots and making rigs like Mayfly rigs and worm harnesses. (Here's a site that gives you the dirt about what kind of stuff to use for fishing Walleye on Lake Erie.) We also reviewed some of the regulations about lures and such. For example, I didn't know that you couldn't use a lure with more than 3 hooks on it in Ohio. That coveres your entire rig, by the way. I also didn't know that you can't have more than 2 poles per person at a time set up and out in the water. Here's yet another site that give you the dirt on Lake Erie regs should you wish to come up here and fish.

Anyway, we got to make pretty shiny things to use on the walleye and other fish as the week went on. I also made a smaller version of a mayfly rig for my fishing hat. It's pink and girly. I love it and I made it.

That night, I and my classmate Geoff went on a row boat with our T.A., Peter and fished. Geoff caught a big sheephead and I caught a nice Rock Bass that got my name on our brag board. I also caught the biggest Goby of the week. 3 1/2 inches, baby! (Yes, I gots me a picture, those will get posted later.)

I was beat when we got back but it was a brilliant day. I can't complain at all. Bed was gratefully crawled into and sleep was had. The next day was going to come too early.

Tomorrow, when I have a bit more time, I'll give you guys a brief list of things that I found helpful to have with me when I came up here. Hopefully, it'll help you should you ever come up to Stone Lab.

Here's to great fishing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home