My Summer at Stone Lab

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Day 3, Tuesday, of my week at Stone Lab started out slowly. Whodda thunk that fishing would be so tiring! Today we were supposed to go straight to Smallmouth Bass but we decided that since they feed all day and walleye feed mostly in the morning that we'd hit the walleye spot first. We did okay, a couple of legal sized walleye made it into the ice chest along with some perch and a sheephead. From there we headed to North Bass Island for the smallies.

One of the things that you learn when you fish is the differences in how they fight once they're on your line. Walleye feel like you've snagged a log, there's not much fighting but with those teeth they look impressive. Smallmouth tug and pull and jump straight out of the water. They're definately a fun fish to catch (and tasty but on Lk. Erie the season is closed for May and most of June to help protect against egg eating gobies). Sheephead feel pretty distinctive on the line and are good fighters. Not a good eating fish due to elevated levels of PCB's at Lk. Erie right now but I hear they do taste good. I've not caught yellow perch so I can't tell you about them. Catfish (another Lk. Erie PCB fish) is a fun fight to but they're a pain in the patookie because they like to swallow the hook. At least in my experience and talk about a yummy fish! If you fish up there, it's more than likely that you'll catch yourself a goby at some point. They're ambitious wee guys. One fellow caught a 1 1/4" goby on a spoon that was bigger than the fish!

Once back on Gibralter I was dying for a nap but we had important things to be lectured on. Today was all about the aquatic ecology that will help us fishers. We talked about water density (did you know that water is densest at 39 degrees?) and oxygen levels (most aquatic life needs 3-5 parts per million) and pH (should be between 5 and 8). We also talked about temperature of the lake and how it changes year round. We learned about how/when each fish spawns and where they spend their time at different times of the year and all sorts of other great topics. I'm beginning to feel like an expert!

In the evening I went out on a row boat to meet up with my T.A. and various other classmates and we formed a fishing front on one side of Gibralter. I did nab me a rock bass and I discovered what great excercise rowing an actual boat was. (Especially when you have to whip it around to meet the 4+ ft wake of the Jet Express so you don't get pitched overboard.) It was a good night and I went to bed, again, exhausted.

Now I said the last time that I'd give you guys a list of things that I found out while I was there that I'd kinda wished I'd known about before. This is a few and I'll throw out more as I remember them.

1. CHECK THE WEATHER REPORT. For the 4 days prior to me leaving, I was isolated from the TV/Internet/Newspapers/etc. I had packed for warm weather and found out on the drive up that a cold front had moved in. Even if you come up here in the middle of July (which is when I'll be there next), bring a sweatshirt and an extra warm blanket. It might make your sleeping more restful.

2. Quarters for laundry. Lighhten your load and do laundry while you're there. I came up planning to do one load during the week and I probably should have done two.

3. Bring cash. The taxi's and boat taxi's take cash. If there's no row boat available to take over to Put-In-Bay, you'll be taking a boat taxi. No, you're not allowed to swim over.

4. Waterbottle. One thing I learned up there is there's a drinking water advisory on South Bass Island. You cannot drink the water, cook with it, brush your teeth with it, etc. On Gibralter Is., they have water in bottles that you can fill your container with. It's a pain, but trust me, giardia ain't fun. (Note: the link is kinda gross but you don't want a bad case of it)

5. Sunblock. Yes, I did bring this with me but on the first and last day, I forgot to put it on. 15 minutes and you're fried. I'm still peeling. I used SPF 50 and I still have a beautiful tan. Remember that you're around water and it reflects the UV rays back at you so it's like you're getting 2x the normal amount. With my class, if we got scortched on the first day or two, we wouldn't be allowed out for the rest of the week for our health. Since this was mostly a participation grade, that would have been bad.

6. Extra shoes (including shower shoes). I brought two pairs (could've used 3 actually) and at random points I had them both filthy and soaked. Don't worry about looks while you're up here. You're a student and it's quite likely you're in a class where you'll get dirty. Shoes that are dry easily and are easy to wash will be a life saver.

7. Allow yourself one "going out" outfit if you want. Why just one? Well, folks, you're in class. You probably won't get to Put-In-Bay more than once a week (if that) thanks to homework. No one will know that you're recycling the same outfit except you and you're classmates and they'll be doing the same thing.

8. Camera. I'll hook you up with some pictures soon but if you come up here, take photos! It's beautiful up here. Take pictures of you're new friends and of the places you go. There's all sorts of historical stuff to see like Perry's cave and the glacial grooves (on Kelly's Island). Extra batteries are a life saver and they'll be less expensive if you buy them at home.

9. Flashlight. There's places on Gibralter Is. that get bretty darned dark at night and if you want to sit and chat with your friends down by the beach, you'll need the flashlight to get back. Also, if you are in a rowboat after dark, the rule is that you HAVE to have a flashlight. My T.A. had the right idea with the flashlight attached to a headband. That leaves your hands free to row and you still have the light. In theory, you shouldn't be in one of the boats alone so you're passenger should have a flashlight as well. If it's dark out or getting dark, it should be on. Again, extra batteries!

10. Some form of portable memory. A CD, memory stick, floppy, etc. If I'd thought ahead, I would have brought my memory stick and I could have typed up an entry for this blog each day I was there. I will most certainly need it for my next classes at Stone Lab (Limnology and Aquatic and Wetland Flora).

Till next time!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home